Despite the tragedy earlier this week, I feel a profound sense of joy. My birthday (yesterday) was one of the most beautiful days I've ever had. I was astounded and awed by my colleagues, students, and family. My students tried valiantly to get through day. We had wonderful talks about Chris, shared our memories and also celebrated my birthday, because we all acknowledged the fact that Chris would have kicked my ass had I not celebrated. I have never before felt such a sense of clarity and purpose.
My favorite students asked me last week what I wanted for my birthday and I replied, "A box of love." Sure enough, they walked in with a huge box, which I unwrapped with glee, only to discover another box, and another, and another and then about sixteen others. The smallest box contained three letters of love. Letters that made me smile and cry, and feel for the first time like a mother. It was amazing.
Meanwhile, my city is burning and the sky is surreal shade of orange. I'm sad to watch the world burn around me, but I know I have to keep going. Life moves, grass will grow, and we will all survive as best we can
No comments:
Post a Comment