Super busy as of late. Drama everywhere. I am however now a proud owner of a karaoke machine. Anyway, I’m feeling wonderfully calm amidst all the chaos. Finished The Great Gatsby today with my AP class and was once again (probably for the 100th time!) moved by the language. Scott Fitzgerald was one hell of a writer. As Dorothy Parker said about him, and he said about Gatsby, "That poor son of bitch." Never will I stop being amazed at the power of words , and his words specifically. I have taught this book a million times but I swear that last line gets me every time, "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." AMAZING. Hands down, that has got to be the best last line of a novel ever. I challenge you to find a better one.
So we had a wonderful discussion in class to day about the ending of this book and language, and as usual it was uplifting, moving, and fabulous. After a week of what seemed like endless suspensions, fights, and staff revolts, I needed this class. God, I love my job.
No comments:
Post a Comment