Monday, February 9, 2009

Rain makes people crazy or the question of the hockey puck.

It was raining today and the kids were, gee, how to say it? The kids were. . .totally wild, savage little beasties, banshees in the hallway, take your pick. Without giving them space to run around during the breaks, they have nothing to do but terrorize teachers, staff, and each other. While funny, the escapades in the hallway were wearing on my nerves. I could only tell them so many times to stop turning the lights off and screaming, so eventually I just went back to eating my lunch. My lunch, which involved getting both food and a hockey puck. It's quite a long story. Suffice to say, no other hockey puck in the history of time has had so much meaning. Perhaps more on that later, but I doubt it. I am currently reading a a play with my students that calls into question the nature of passion. We had brilliant discussions about how passion degrades the human experience. I struggled to maintain composure, as this is obviously a touchy issue for me right now. I was, however, consoled by the beauty that is literature and the shared human experience that it both documents and reflects. For better or worse, Tennessee had it right. So in the words of Tennessee Williams, "give me another drink and I'll tell you [why I drink]."

5 comments: