Monday, July 6, 2009

The Eurocans

There is a particular set of people who have lived in Europe then come back to the States. These people say things like "the States" or "America." They also say "bin"and "lift", drink coffee or tea at odd times, and watch soccer. These are my people.

I would like to take this time to say that before you judge us and call us pretentious, remember that we are having a hard time. We feel country less and are in the throes of figuring out our identities. We don't hate America, we came back for crying out loud. We are just in our reentry phase and we feel very lonely and get annoyed when people don't seem to think that it might be hard to move back to what feels like a foreign country.

So just be patient while we find ourselves. Remember too, you might learn something if you just sit back and listen. Like the fact that St. Marcelin cheese smells horrible and rules all, Spaniards are awesome, and Americans are too fast.

Give us a break. We're pretty cool.

5 comments:

  1. of course, you're cool, but i tell you what, we'd all move overseas again, if we could!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is, I've felt the same way ever since I moved back from Saudi Arabia. When I was ten. Twenty-eight years ago. I don't say "bin" or "lift" but I love tea at noon in a tall glass and I still feel that while this isn't a foreign country it sure is full of strange people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But see, I wouldn't move. I like it here. This is my home. It just takes some getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people are strange wherever you go. No matter the little cultural and linguistic differences - we are all freaks. So move, stay, do whatever, you can't escape it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but Dr. Tisdale, we have now come to a point of disagreement for you see, I do not consider myself a freak. I simply am. The rest of the freaks, why, they'll have to fend for themselves.

    ReplyDelete